connecting appearance to treatment

I just had an epiphany about how I probably shouldn't care so damn much about how I look when I'm out traveling. There is an aesthetic that I want to have, to let people know I'm a traveler, when I usually look like a hobo. people do treat you differently based on how you look, and I would like to be treated with dignity and respect.

maybe I don't care so much about how I look as much as I care about how other people think I look. I'm fine as long as I'm wearing comfortable clothing, but when you look homeless people think that you're trying to take advantage of whatever space you can versus when you look like a traveler people know that you'll be moving on so they're less likely to bother you. At least in my experience.

and those things can be very synonymous. You can try to take as much space as you can while still moving on, but when you're sitting in a place of business, it's about how the business is customers will also look at you, not just the employees.

But I've already spent so long being treated like crap, I may as well continue. At least now with the suicidalness behind me, I know I'm not crap. It's kind of like I always knew that I wasn't crap, and help people accountable for when I was treated poorly, but now I'm fully into the idea that I'm not crap. And people are going to treat me however they want, anyway. I may as well settle into my comfortable hobo life!

Comments

Popular Posts